Footnotes and References
Senior citizens would not be harmed if younger generations were able to open Personal Retirement Accounts. In fact, all generations would benefit - even those in or near retirement.
- 1 (Slide 1) AARP Issues Blog, link to television commercial http://aarp.typepad.com/socialsecurity/2005/03/aarps_social_se.html
- 2 (Slide 2) Social Security: Where We Stand, AARP Bulletin, June 2005. Available from http://www.aarp.org/bulletin/socialsec/ss_where_we_stand.html
- 3 (Slide 3) "New AARP Ad Campaign Highlights Danger in Proposals for Private Accounts That Take Money Out Of Social Security," available from http://www.aarp.org/states/ma/ma-advocacy/new_aarp_ad_campaign_highlights_danger_in_proposal.html
- 4 (Slide 4) "The Policy Book: AARP Public Policies 2005", Ch. 3 Retirement Income, p.3-13, available from http://assets.aarp.org/www.aarp.org_/articles/legpolicy/3_retinc05.pdf
- 5 (Slide 5) AARP Issues Blog, link to television commercial http://aarp.typepad.com/socialsecurity/2005/03/aarps_social_se.html
- 6 (Slide 6) "Social Security: A Background Briefing" March 24,2005 p.1. Available from: http://assets.aarp.org/www.aarp.org_/articles/presscenter/pdf/SocialSecurityBackgroundBriefing.pdf
- 9 AARP 2004 Consolidated Financial Statements. p.3. Available from http://assets.aarp.org/www.aarp.org_/articles/aboutaarp/2004financial.pdf
- 10 $9.80 is 1/3 of the cost of a three year membership (prices taken from http://www.aarp.org/membership/aarp/) Since the AARP financial report states "Membership dues are deferred upon receipt and recognized as revenue ratably over the membership term of one, two or three years" (Ibid, p. 9), we use the lowest possible per year price to estimate an upper bound of total members.
- 11 AARP 2004 Annual Report, p. 20 available from http://assets.aarp.org/www.aarp.org_/articles/aboutaarp/AARP2004AnnualReport.pdf
- 12 Van Atta, Dan. 1998. "Trust Betrayed: Inside the AARP." Washington DC: Regnery Publishing Inc.: p.139.
- 13 (True/False Q. 1) Weingarten, Abby. 2005. "Decline Worries AARP Groups." Sarasota Herald-Tribune. October 10. Sec. B.
- 14 (True/False Q. 2) 60 Minutes, CBS News Transcripts, August 26, 2005